hosted by Overwhelmed with Joy
FRENCH ONION SOUP
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon sugar
4 medium onions, thinly sliced**
1 tablespoon flour
5 cups hot water
5 teaspoons beef granules
1 tablespoon Superior Touch Better than Bouillon Beef Base
1 tablespoon kitchen bouquet
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
4 thin slices french or sourdough bread, toasted
4 slices Gruyere cheese*
- Melt butter in bottom of stock pot.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Separate onions into rings and add to butter. Cook until tender and golden.
- Add flour and blend well with butter mixture and onions.
- Add water, beef granules, kitchen bouquet, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Toast bread and then butter it.
- Ladle soup into 4 oven proof bowls that have been put on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Place 1 slice of toast over top of soup.
- Lay 1 slice of cheese on top of toast.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*mozzarella cheese works well too
**I like a mix of Vidalia, Bermuda, white and yellow onions
I do the memes: Menu Plan Monday hosted by Laura at I’m an Organizing Junkie, Favorite Ingredient Friday hosted by Kathryn at Overwhelmed with Joy, Freezer Food Friday hosted by MJ at mjpuzzlemom, Scrumptious Sunday hosted by Meredith at Mercedes Rocks and Slow Cooking Thursday hosted by Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom. Doing them all make great additions to help keeping me on track and finding so new recipes!