Scrumptious Sunday hosted by Meredith at Mercedes Rocks
scant 1/2 cup milk
1 can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon minced garlic, jar
2 tablespoons Classico sun-dried tomato pesto
2 1/2 cups cooked rice* (white, brown or wild – your choice)
2 cups chicken, cooked (I like to grill it) and cubed
1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, revived
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon butter, melted
3/4 cup italian bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine milk and alfredo sauce. Blend until smooth.
- Add rice, chicken, basil, cheese and tomatoes and stir well.
- Transfer to a PURE sprayed baking dish.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Mix melted butter and bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake another 20 minutes uncovered until crumbs are golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
*1 cup uncooked rice equals approximately 3 cups cooked rice
TRIVIA TIP: According to Better Homes & Gardens May 2008, the first recipe for chicken and rice casserole appeared in the 1896 Fannie Farmer’s The Boston Cooking School Cookbook.
CRANBERRY RICE PILAF
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup sliced and chopped mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup craisins
1/2 cup brown rice
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1 cup water
- Melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan
- Saute’ onions and celery until tender.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add bouillon, water and mix well.
- Add rice and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender.
- Add crasins and cook 5 minutes more.