2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
5 tablespoons butter, diced into small cubes
1/4 cup Crisco
1 1/4 cu buttermilk
2/3 cup Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, grated (a recent local find)
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a food processor pulse together the dry ingredients, butter and Crisco until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Return to large bowl and stir in cheese.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk.
- Stir together* until just combined.
- On a slightly floured surface knead dough 6 or so times until dough is smooth and holds together well.
- Pat down into large square 12×12 inches.
- With a floured knife cut into 16 squares.
- Arrange biscuits on an LIGHTLY greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
*Spray your utensil with PURE so your dough doesn’t stick to it.
The Bread Round Up on October 15th.
Click here to learn more.