1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground beef
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped fine*
1 teaspoon minced garlic, jar
1/2 cup grated carrots*
1/2 cup grated mushrooms*
5 ounce can evaporated milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 Jumbo eggs
3 slices sourdough bread, staled and broken into pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk eggs together with milk, salt and pepper in large mixing bowl.
- Add bread and soak a few minutes.
- Add onions, mushrooms, carrots, pork, beef and cheese mixing well with your hands so that it is all incorporated.
- Mold into a loaf pan**.
- Combine the ketchup and brown sugar until well mixed.
- Spread topping over top of meat mixture.
- Bake 1 hour.
*I run these through my Kitchen Aid shredder and it makes quick work of all the chopping and you get finer pieces to work into the meat.
**I usually make this 1 1/2 times and use a 9×9 stoneware cake pan so that it has lots of crispy edges and then we have leftovers for sandwiches. We LOVE meatloaf sandwiches!
I also watch for sales on chops and steaks so I can grind my own meat. Sooooooooo much better flavor and you know exactly what’s in it!
SWEET & SOUR TOMATOES
or SWEET & SOUR TOMATOES AND SNOW PEAS
3 Large tomatoes, washed and chopped
1/2 pound snow peas, washed and trimmed
3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
- Chop tomatoes into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar, oil and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Toss tomatoes with vinegar mixture.
- Chill 24 hours before serving.