BLACK BEAN CORN CAKES with CHILI PEPPER SOUR CREAM
6 servings @ $7.78 or $1.30 a serving
1 cup Fresh Garden Salsa or a bottle of Old El Paso Chunky ($2 on sale)
15 ounce can black beans $1.49
11 ounce can white shoe peg corn $1.19
1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin mix $0.83
1 medium egg $0.08
3/4 cup sour cream $1.19
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper – nominal
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes – nominal
1/2 teaspoon chili powder – nominal
butter/oil – nominal
- Whisk the sour cream, red pepper flakes and chili powder until well blended. Chill.
- In a colander drain the black beans and corn. Drain and rinse well.
- Mash the beans and corn.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the muffin mix and egg.
- Add bean mixture and cayenne pepper, blending well.
- Form into 6 patties. They will be gooey so I like to spray my patty maker with PURE first.
- Layer patties between wax paper and freeze for 2 hours ( no more or they will be too frozen and mushy in the middle).
- Melt butter or oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook 5 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
- Serve with Chili pepper sour cream and warm tortillas or Quesadilla pieces.
Be sure and come back for Healthy Helpings Thursday tomorrow.