STUFFED CABBAGE LEAVES
1 pound ground beef
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
3 teaspoons minced garlic, jar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 JUMBO egg
1 can diced tomatoes with herbs
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
1 1/2 cups Bolegnese sauce*
8-10 Cabbage Leaves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the hot water and Better than Bouillon base together. Set aside.
- Combine the Bolegnese sauce, tomatoes and vinegar until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet lightly brown the ground beef.
- Drain, reserving the grease.
- In the same skillet use the reserved grease to saute’ the onion, carrots and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the rice.
- Add the broth and salt.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender (about 15 minutes). Cool.
- Add the egg and blend well.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanche the cabbage leaves JUST until soft and pliable. Drain and rinse in cold water. Pat dry.
- In a large baking dish pour 1/3 of the Bolegnese sauce mixture into the bottom.
- Fill each leaf with the beef and rice mixture. Roll up, tucking in the sides and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining sauce.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until heated through and sauce has thickened.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
*I make this in large batches and store it in 2 cup portions for use during the week.