- 1 cup margarine, butter, Crisco or butter Crisco
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional – green)
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine (or whatever), white sugar and powdered sugar. Beat in the egg and *vanilla extract. Combine the flour and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Cover or wrap dough and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets (or use parchment paper). Divide dough into halves. Color one half red by mixing in the food color (green for some too if you want). Roll a small amount of each dough about 3 inches long. Twist colors together like a rope and curve the end like a cane. Place onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven.
*If you like peppermint you can add peppermint extract, about a teaspoon in place of the vanilla.