A while back I went to this library book sale and was like a kid in a candy store. The prices were so
down right cheap reasonable that I couldn’t resist a couple of impulse buys. One of those was Joey Green’s Magic Brands. I’m just starting the book, but plan on reviewing it chapter by chapter over the next bit of time. I hope to be able to bring you some innovative new uses for everyday products.
This week’s review is for ALKA SELTZER which was invented in 1930:
- Clean a toilet: “Drop 2 tablets into the toilet bowl and wait 20 minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous china”. TRUE – I have also used denture tablets with the same results.
- Clean a vase: “To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two ALKA SELTZER tablets”. TRUE – I have again also used denture tablets as well as purple 409 with the same success.
- Polish Jewelry: “Drop two ALKA SELTZER tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes”. TRUE, but once again denture tablets as well as purple 409 with the same success.
- Clean a thermos bottle: “Fill the bottle with water, drop in four ALKA SELTZER tablets and let soak for an hour (or longer if necessary). I haven’t tried this, but can’t imagine it wouldn’t work.
- Remove burned-on grease from a pot or pan: “Fill the pot or pan with water, drop in 6 ALKA SELTZER tablets, let soak for one hour, then scrub as usual”. UNKNOWN I have not tried this one, but in the past have used a couple drops of dish washing soap in the hot water, bring it to a boil and then scrub as normal.
- Unclog a drain: “Clear the sink drain by dropping three ALKA SELTZER tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water”. TRUE, but I have for years used a cup of baking soda follwed by a cup of white vinegar and then hot water several minutes later with great success and for much less money than the cost of ALKA SELTZER.
- Get short term relief from nicotine withdrawal symptoms: “As long as you are not on a low sodium diet and don’t have peptic ulcers, drink two ALKA SELTZER tablets in a glass of water at every meal. UNKNOWN I have never smoked so have no reason to try this, but also don’t recommend it WITHOUT CHECKING WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.
- Soothe insect bites: “Dissolve two ALKA SELTZER tablets in a glass of water, dip a cloth into the solution, and place the cloth on the bite for twenty minutes. UNKNOWN This I have not had occasion to try.
1185-8=1177 to go