T’is the season for nice fresh tomatoes! This recipe originated from a basic tomato pie, but has taken twists and turns along the way. It’s so good – definitely a must try!
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 chopped green onions (more or less to taste)
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- Salt, pepper, oregano
- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked deep dish pie shell
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice tomatoes and season with salt. Layer the tomato slices, basil, onion, bacon, ricotta and 1/2 mozzarella in pie shell. Add another layer of tomato, top with remaining mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with oregano and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
Additional options – this can be made without the bacon, cheddar cheese can be added if desired, ricotta can be replaced with mayo for a more traditional tomato pie, and it can be made with or with without a top crust.