I was going to post another cookie or candy or Christmas treat recipe…but you guys need to eat something healthy too, at least once this holiday season. In between bites of fudge and candy and cookies I mean. Why? Because I said so, that’s why.
This is super easy to throw together, and it’s a favorite of ours. It takes about 10 minutes to make, and yields 4 generous servings. It’s from a cookbook called The Minimalist Cooks Dinner, but honestly I don’t recommend this book. We have only tried a few recipes out of it, and aside from this salad they have required huge modifications in order to taste good! I’m all for minimalism, but not at the expense of flavor!
Simple Green Salad
- 4 to 6 cups trimmed, washed, dried and torn assorted greens (who am I kidding, we usually just use Romaine!)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (he also says “or sherry vinegar or fresh lemon juice, but we’ve only used balsamic)
- Salt (imperative–we use Kosher)
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional (we leave this out most of the time)
Place the greens in a bowl and drizzle them with oil, vinegar and a (generous) pinch of salt. Toss and taste. Correct the seasoning, add pepper if desired, and serve immediately.