Spaghetti Sauce. A food that everyone seems to have their versions of. This is the best spaghetti sauce that I have ever tasted. It is my nana’s recipe and I have never tasted another remotely like it. Everyone that has tasted it has enjoyed it and gone back for seconds. I make a double batch and freeze the leftovers for busy weeknights. Serve with a salad and big,crusty bread and you have a complete meal. Nana’s recipe calls for ground beef but you can certainly lighten it up with ground turkey. And please don’t leave out the Heinz 57 sauce. It is crucial to the outcome. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Nana’s Spaghetti Sauce
3 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Heinz 57 steak sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Brown onion and green pepper in a large skillet in a small amount of oil.
- Add ground beef to the onion and green peppers; cook until brown.
- Carefully drain the hamburger mixture and return to the skillet.
- Add the tomato sauce, onion salt, salt, garlic salt, oregano, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Heinz 57 and Italian seasoning.
- Stir well and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Serve over your favorite pasta with garlic bread and a salad.