BANANA SPLIT PIE
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 stick butter, melted
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
16 ounces sour cream
3 bananas, sliced
20 ounce can crushed pineapple
Maraschino cherries, with or without stems
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped, for garnish
Whipped cream or cool whip
Grated chocolate, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a 13×9 baking dish, melt butter in microwave, then add graham cracker crumbs and mix well, pressing the mixture onto the bottom; set aside.
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in another mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until completely blended.
- Spread this mixture evenly over the graham cracker crust and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, spread the sour cream over the cream cheese mixture, and bake for 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- While base is cooling, drain crushed pineapple and slice bananas into 1/4″ slices; gently toss pineapple and bananas together.
- When cool, layer the pineapple and banana mixture over the sour cream and then spread the whipped cream evenly over the top.
- Dust with grated chocolate, if desired, then sprinkle with the chopped pecans and the cherries.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form – texture should be billowy.
- Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Use immediately.
Recipe adapted from Pecans from Soup to Nuts by Keith Courrege and Marcelle Bienvenu