I subscribe to Lagniappe, the free email newsletter of Louisiana Cookin’ magazine. It’s published each Friday, and typically contains 3 Louisiana-centric recipes. Friday’s newsletter contained this recipe, and I knew I had to make it, even though I had already written today’s post. But, as strawberries are in season, I decided to share this recipe with you all.
The flavor is lovely, although the texture was a little moist. No one seemed to mind, however, and the cake was the perfect ending to a delicious grilled meal on the patio. I think it would be perfect for a Memorial day cookout, as it’s quick to whip up and if you’re like me, I find it quite nice to have something on my menu that takes little thought and prep. Be sure to save room for dessert when you make this delicious cake…
Strawberry-Banana Daiquiri Cake
1 Strawberry Cake Mix
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon light rum (did not use, I increased lime juice to 3 tablespoons)
Lime Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a Bundt pan; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine the cake mix, berries, banana, eggs, and lime juice.
- Beat for 2 minutes at highest speed.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Prepare glaze while cake is baking.
- Cool cake upright for 25 minutes before inverting onto serving place.
- Spoon glaze evenly over cake. Garnish with lime zest, if using.
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon butter
- Microwave lime juice and butter until butter melts.
- Whisk in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.