Brown Butter Cupcakes with Apricot Pineapple Frosting
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk (low fat is ok)
1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter softened
1/4 cup Smuckers apricot preserves
1/4 cup Smuckers pineapple preserves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Apricots for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray well with PURE.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and cook over low-medium heat until butter has turned an amber color and smells toasty, but not burnt. Butter will darken quickly once it begins to turn.
- Pour butter, scraping all the browned bits from the bottom with a spatula, into a small bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cooled butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extracts with the milk. Pour into flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- In a small bowl stir together the preserves until well blended.
- Mix Cream Cheese and Butter in a medium sized bowl using an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts and blend well.
- Add half the preserve mixture until well mixed. Add half the powdered sugar and mix well, alternate between the preserves and the powdered sugar until the frosting is at a good spreading consistency.
- Garnish with Apricot wedges.
Adapted from The Baker Chick