1/3 cup Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
2 ounces Baker’s unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons safflower oil
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 ounces dark chocolate chips (those melty ones you get in bulk to make fondue with at the grocery store) I used Whole Foods brand
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 13×9 pan with foil; spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk cocoa and boiling water together until smooth.
- Add in unsweetened chocolate and continue to whisk until chocolate is melted.
- Whisk in melted butter and oil. (CI notes at this point that the mixture may look curdled; I have not had this issue.)
- Whisk in sugar.
- Stir in eggs, yolks, and vanilla until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Fold in chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350° 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan on a rack for 1 1/2hrs.
- Using foil, remove brownies from pan and place on rack to cool another hour before serving.*
*Laura said, “Okay look, this is 2 1/2 hours of cooling time. I don’t know about you, but there is no chance in hell that fresh brownies are going to get that much alone time at my house. I usually make it about 45 minutes before I start cutting” and I wholeheartedly concur!