Hi everyone, I’m the newbie here and am really excited to be the new dessert queen. Please be sure to also stop by and see me at my home blog, Paper Plates & China for more fun and recipes.
I’ve been looking for a reason to try this much talked about cake and this seemed like the perfect time. It’s made with a cake mix, which usually isn’t my preference. I’m glad I didn’t let that discourage me from making it. The frosting is incredible! It will now be my go-to recipe for buttercream icing.
Chocolate Chip Cake with Buttercream Frosting
Chocolate Chip Cake
1 Box White Cake Mix
1 cup AP Flour
1 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean scraped
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites (room temperature)
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease (2) 9-inch round pans
- In a large bowl whisk cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove when inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from pans after about 10-20 minutes. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting.
Vanilla Bean Buttercream
3 cups of powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 vanilla bean-scraped (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
1 -2 tablespoons whipping cream
1/2-3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mix powdered sugar and butter until light and fluffy on low speed.
- Add vanilla bean scrapings (or vanilla extract) and whipping cream. Start with 1 tablespoon and increase as needed for desired consistency.
- Once cakes are cool, frost the top and sides of one layer. Stack the 2nd layer on top of first, frost the sides and top. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
Recipe adapted from Recipegirl.com (wedding cake)