The origins of the Jucy Lucy is hotly debated. Two different bars in Minneapolis claim to have invented it. They can’t even agree how to spell it. But what is not up for debate is that it is absolutely, cheese drippingly delicious.
The basic Jucy Lucy is cheese stuffed in a raw burger patty and then cooked. That is a wonderful thing. But you shouldn’t stop there. They are most fun if you customize the “stuffings” with cheese and other things you like. Make it your own by adding sauces, aromatics, or whatever. Okay, not “whatever” fish would be gross in there. Here’s one I like.
Spicy and Jucy Lucy Burgers
- 1.5 pounds ground chuck
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the burger stuffin’
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 tsp bbq sauce
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake
- 4 hamburger buns
- Mix together the meat, egg, salt, garlic, and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into eight even burger patties (3oz patties).
- Mix the cheeses, bbq sauce and chili powder together.
- Take 4 of the patties and place a fourthof the cheese mixture in the center of each patty.
- Carefully place the remaining 4 patties on top of these. Pinch the seams together around all edges of the burger.
- Preheat a charcoal grill to 400f. Grill the burgers for 4 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook another 4 minutes or until the internal temp of the burgers is 165f.
- Let rest for 10 minutes (to let the cheesy lava to cool off) and serve on buns. You won’t need a lot of condiments…you already put them inside!
So, if you had the patties already made and a grill fired up, what would you stuff into YOUR Jucy Lucy?