Turkey Spaghetti Pie adapted from Everyday Light Meals
6oz uncooked spaghetti
5 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute
3/4lb lean ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions: Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well and cool to room temperature. In a bowl, combine the spaghetti, Parmesan cheese and egg substitute. Transfer to a 9 inch pie plate coated with nonstick cooking spray and form into a crust; set aside.
In nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook turkey, onion and green pepper until turkey is no longer pink; drain. Add spaghetti sauce; heat through. Spread cottage cheese over crust; top with turkey mixture.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
One serving (1 wedge) equals
Fat 11g (4g sat fat)
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable
-I just used 3 whole eggs instead of egg substitute (not calculated in the above nutrition facts)
-I did not use a green pepper.
-I did not use the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop an onion.
- Brown the ground turkey.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Add the onions to the ground turkey
- Add the spaghetti sauce to the turkey to warm.
- In a separate bowl, pour the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the eggs or egg substitute.
- Drain the spaghetti, add to the egg/cheese, and mix.
- Pour into a coated 9 inch pan.
- Spread the cottage over the spaghetti.
- Add the meat mixture on top.
- Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.