I got this recipe from my cousin Brandy who got it from food.com. The woman who wrote it said she developed the recipe because of her son’s love for the Monte Cristo sandwich at Disneyland’s Blue Bayou. Disneyland’s Blue Bayou is where I originally fell in love with this sandwich also, but in her recipe she changed the red raspberry jam that the Blue Bayou served to strawberries and added parsley. I’m taking it back to as close to original as I can by deleting the parsley and reverting to red raspberry jam.
MONTE CRISTO CASSEROLE
1 cup 1% milk
2 packages frozen, French toast, thawed
8 ounces deli ham, sliced
8 ounces deli turkey, sliced
4 ounces Swiss cheese, sliced thin
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Smucker’s Red Raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- Heat milk until hot, but not scalded.
- Whisk eggs until well blended, add milk and whisk to incorporate.
- Spray 13×9 baking dish with PURE.
- Layer French toast on bottom.
- Top with layers of ham, turkey and cheese.
- Top with French toast.
- Pour egg mixture over top and let set 10 minutes or so. It can be refrigerated overnight, but be sure to let stand at room temperature before baking.
- Bake 30 minutes or until set on bottom.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over top.
- Serve with Smucker’s red raspberry jam for dipping.