BEEF BARLEY STEW
1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1/2 red onion, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Thyme
2-3 cups root vegetable pieces (I used carrots and parsnips)
2/3 cup barley
1 tablespoon blood orange vinegar (red wine is great too)
- Bring meat to room temperature.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add meat and brown on all sides.
- Remove meat with a slotted spoon.
- Add onions and garlic, sauteing until garlic is fragrant and onions are soft and slightly browned.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, Thyme and root vegetables.
- Gently simmer for 1-2 hours, covered.
- Stir in barley and continuing simmering until barley is tender.
- Stir in vinegar.