I like to use a flat baking dish so that there is more crunchy topping per serving.
LEMON TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE 8 servings
1 package wide egg noodles
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large bunch green onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup AP flour
3 cups whole milk
4 cups shredded swiss cheese
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large cans oil packed tuna, drained and flaked
1 can sweet peas, drained well
1 cup Panko crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon garlic paste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook egg noodles to al dente’ per package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Add garlic and onions sauteing until garlic is fragrant and onions are tender.
- Whisk in flour and blend well. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until well blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes until sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, lemon juice and salt.
- Fold in tuna, peas and egg noodles.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Combine melted butter, garlic and Panko crumbs.
- Spread evenly on top of tuna mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.