ALMOND WALNUT DANISH
1 cup butter
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons yeast
4 eggs, beaten
7 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup + walnut crumbles
- In a saucepan melt butter.
- Add milk and water whisking until smooth consistency and JUST boiling.
- Cool 5-10 minutes so you don’t kill the yeast.
- Add the sugar, salt and yeast to form a sponge like blob.
- Add the eggs until uniform consistency.
- In a mixer with a dough hook attached, combine flour and yeast mixture.
- Knead well. Put in refrigerator for at least several hours, but overnight is better.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll a ball of dough the size of a golf ball into a rope and coil into a circle. Make sure the center is thinner than the outer edges to hold the filling in. Sometimes I prefer squares, but you just have to work with your dough after you have it coiled.
- Fill with a heaping tablespoon of filling per danish (recipe below).
- Let rise an hour in a warm place.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Frost with drizzle.
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoons butter, melted
- Whisk together butter, milk, almond extract and orange peel until well blended.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing until desired consistency.
- Drizzle all over danish, sprinkling with walnut pieces.