PARMESAN CHEESE BREAD
3 1/4 cups unbleached flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 1/3 cup warm water
1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago Parmesan Cheese
extra-extra virgin olive oil
- Sift together the four, yeast and salt.
- Stir in the water until dough forms.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese.
- Transfer to a well floured surface.
- Knead until soft, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes). Add flour as necessary to reduce stickiness.
- Knead the dough until it remains rounded and doesn’t flatten out when left to sit for a few minutes.
- Arrange into a round.
- Brush the surface with olive oil.
- Cover loosely with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Brush a 9 inch round pan with olive oil.
- Put remaining cheese on a plate.
- Punch down the dough and knead a few more times with fresh flour.
- For rolls – divide dough into12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball.
- Roll each ball in the cheese and then place in pan with the edges touching. 9 balls around the outside, 3 balls in the center.
- Cover with a flour sack towel and allow to rise again.
- Cut a small slash in the top of each ball.
- Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes and the reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake until golden and crispy, about 20-30 minutes more.
- Serve hot or transfer to a wire rack and cool and then slice.