2 pounds ground beef
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
1 large Vidalia Onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups baby carrots, cut into quarters
2 large celery ribs, sliced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1 small can Le Seur Peas, undrained
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded jack cheese
2 + 3 tablespoons butter
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain.
- Whisk together the tomatoes, seasonings and garlic.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Generously salt and pepper beef and brown well.
- Drain off grease and add to tomato mixture.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Saute carrots and celery together until tender.
- Add to beef mixture.
- Fold in Peas.
- Pour into a 9×9 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- In a mixing bowl combine 2 tablespoons butter, buttermilk and potatoes. Generously salt and pepper. Mash well.
- Top casserole with mashed potatoes.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
TIP: Cultured Buttermilk Blend powder. While I use a lot of buttermilk for cooking and baking, sometimes I just don’t have it on hand and this powdered form is a lifesaver on a snowy day so I don’t have to make a grocery store run. It’s handy, flavorful and lasts a really LONG time.