FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
8-10 sourdough heels (or regular slices work too)
3 cups milk
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons butter, cubed or sliced thin
3 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
maple syrup – OPTIONAL – it really is great without it
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, 4 teaspoons sugar, vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Cube bread.
- Add bread to the egg mixture and toss to coat well.
- Grease a 13×9 baking dish.
- Pour bread mixture into baking dish, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Dot casserole with butter pieces.
- Combine topping sugar and cinnamon – sprinkle over top.
- Cover** and bake 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out of center clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
**If you want a crispy top, uncover 10 minutes before it’s through.