This SOUR CREAM APPLE COFFEE CAKE is so versatile – use whatever appropriate fruit is in season – love it with strawberries in May or peaches in August!
SOUR CREAM APPLE COFFEE CAKE
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla
4 large Honey Crisp Apples
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray 9×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the topping (see below) and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar and eggs.
- Add sour cream and vanilla, blending well.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the cream mixture until well mixed.
- Pour half the batter into prepared baking dish.
- Layer half the apples over the batter.
- Top with a scant half of the topping.
- Pour remaining batter over topping, followed by the remaining apples and topping.
- Bake 1 hour or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- Heat and top with Caramel sauce before serving (optional).
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup Fisher’s Cinnamon Pecans
- Combine the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and pecans, mixing well.
- Set Aside.