I found this recipe in a magazine and found it just intriguing enough to try. I made just a few very small changes:
- It called for regular cheddar and I used white.
- It called for 3 slices of bacon and I used 4.
- It had you serving with just butter which we tried and then we added maple syrup which was a serious plus in our book.
- It also said it would make 8 pancakes and I got 11.
BACON CHEDDAR PANCAKES
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 LARGE egg
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- Preheat skillet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well blended.
- Whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, whisking only until incorporated well.
- Fold in bacon and cheese.
- Using 1/4 cup measure scoop batter onto prepared skillet.
- Turn when you see bubbles on the entire pancake surface. If you wait for the bubbles you will need to only flip once and pancakes should be golden.
- Cook until golden.