Hubby used to have this wonderful goat cheese salad at a local little haunt. We specifically went a few days back so he could have that salad and found they had removed it from the menu. So I decided to be bold and ask for the recipe so I could re-create it for him and guess what? They gave me the recipe!
When I went to the grocery store yesterday I had trouble finding plain goat cheese so I used a lemon infused one instead. I also used my Sweet Honey Catalina for dressing instead of bleu cheese this time since I had some on hand that needed used up.
GOAT CHEESE SALAD
1 tomato per person
Juice of 1 lemon
small sweet onion, sliced
Fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
3-4 slices goat cheese per person
1 large egg , beaten well
1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
Fresh ground hazelnuts
sliced olives (optional)
bleu cheese dressing
- In a shallow bowl place the sliced onions on the bottom.
- Pour the can of pickled beet slices over the onions. Set aside.
- Slice goat cheese and place on a plate in a single layer. Cover and freeze for 15 minutes. This makes the soft cheese easier to work with.
- While the cheese is in the freezer prepare the lettuce and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice, salt and pepper over the lettuce and tomatoes. Set Aside.
- In a small food processor grind together the Panko crumbs and hazelnuts in equal proportions until you have enough to evenly coat your cheese slices.
- Dredge the goat cheese in the egg first and then the nut crumbs.
- Over a fairly high heat melt the coconut oil.
- Quickly sear the cheese slices on both sides. The goal here is to brown the crumbs and protect the cheese inside so don’t linger.
- Drain onions and beets of juice and add to the sides of your salad.
- Top with dressing and goat cheese slices.
NOTE: Goat cheese is REALLY soft. The best way to slice it to get even slices is with dental floss.