I found this recipe and it looked so absolutely delicious that I had to try it! Well it received 4 thumbs down – WAY TOO BITTER – so it was back to the drawing board. I guess we are just not Indonesian eaters. I still liked the basic recipe idea, it just needed something more to our liking! It was too bitter as is, so I tried a simple fix and Voila’ a new recipe was born.
BROKEN BALINESE CHICKEN
10 6 garlic cloves, minced 3 fresh long red chiles, halved and seeded
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
6 3 small shallots, halved sliced 2 1 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
vegetable avocado oil, plus more for brushing
freshly ground Salt and black pepper
One 4-pound chicken, butterflied 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders 4 fresh bay leaves 4 2 limes, halved
2 limes, sliced
- In a food processor, combine the garlic,
chiles,shallots, ginger and turmeric and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the 1/4 cup of avocado oil and pulse to a fine paste.
- Transfer the paste to a small skillet and add the brown sugar cooking over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Let the paste cool completely and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Uncover chicken and bring to room temperature while oven is heating.
- Add lime pieces.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until cooked through.