The original recipe I found said it was where Macaroni salad meets Potato salad in a Hawaiian classic. I’ve made a few adjustments due to my mustard allergy and family likes/dislikes. I also made a couple instructional changes to make it easier to prepare. This is the perfect accompaniment for my Aloha BBQ Pork Ribs. I make EVERYTHING without mustard due to being deathly allergic, but hubby always adds mustard in so it is up to you whether or not to add mustard.
HAWAIIAN POTATO SALAD
1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, diced into bite sized potatoes
1 1/2 cups pasta shells
1 can LeSeur Peas, drained well
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 ribs celery, sliced thin
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
3 large sweet pickles, chopped
1 can crushed pineapple, drained well
Fresh ground salt and pepper
- Add potatoes to salted boiling water, cooking until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse in cool water.
- Add pasta to boiling water, cooking to al dente. Drain and rinse in cool water.
- While potatoes and pasta are cooking and cooling, prepare dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sweet pickle relish, salt and pepper.
- Fold in pineapple, pickle pieces, red onion and grated cheese.
- Fold in potatoes.
- Fold in pasta.
- Fold in peas.
- Top with egg slices.
- Chill 12-24 hours for best flavor.