WHEN I FIRST READ ABOUT THIS RECIPE I EXPECTED A LIGHTER FLUFFIER CAKE. IT WAS GOOD, BUT IT WAS MORE BREAD LIKE THAN CAKE LIKE.
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (5-6 small bananas)
8 ounce can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 recipe Salted Caramel Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 13 x 9 cake pan with non-stick spray and flour it with cocoa.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add the bananas, pineapple, oil, eggs, coconut and vanilla stirring together JUST until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Frost with Salted Caramel Frosting.
Salted Caramel Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping*
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon textured sea salt
2 3/4 – 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add caramel sauce and vanilla, blending well with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar until desired consistency reached.
*I usually have a batch of Caramel sauce on hand and prefer the homemade.