I wish I could tell you where or who I got this recipe from because I would LOVE to thank them for this incredible bread and it is the PERFECT bread FOR FALL! I modified it slightly, but we think t is even better. This is like a sideways monkey bread.
CINNAMON PUMPKIN PULL APART BREAD
2 + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup whole milk
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 envelope) active dry yeast
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground GOOD QUALITY cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup spiced rum
Buttered Rum Glaze
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/8 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon SPICED rum
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, brown 2 tablespoons of the butter until it is a dark golden brown. Be careful not to burn it.
- Once browned, remove the pan from the heat and carefully whisk in the milk.
- Return the pan to the burner and heat through, whisking regularly.
- Pour the milk and butter into the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with a dough hook and allow it to cool to lukewarm (about 100-110 degrees F).
- Add the yeast and 1/4 cup of sugar. Allow to proof until it is foamy and the liquid cloudy – about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the the pumpkin, salt, and 1 cup of the flour.
- Stir until combined then add the rest of the flour 1/2 cup at a time and knead for 6 minutes, until the dough is smooth, elastic and just slightly sticky.
- If the dough is too moist, add extra flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Move dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean cheesecloth towel.
- Allow to rise in a warm place for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Pour rum over raisins and set aside to soak while bread rises.
- While dough is rising, brown the other 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mixing well.
- Set aside.
- Grease and flour a 9×5 loaf pan and set aside.
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and flip out onto a clean floured surface and knead with your hands for 1-2 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 20×12 inch rectangle.
- Drain raisins well.
- Evenly sprinkle the dough with the cinnamon sugar mixture and press into dough with the palms of your hands.
- Cut the rectangle into 6 strips.
- Top with rum soaked golden raisins.
- Lay strips on top of each other and cut each strip into 6 even squares (cut in half then each half into thirds).
- Stack strips vertically into the loaf pan.
- Cover the pan with a clean towel and let rise for 30-45 minutes.
- In the meantime preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is a very deep golden brown.
- To prepare the glaze, heat the butter, milk, and brown sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to boil then immediately remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rum and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over cake.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh whip cream.