NOT THE BEST PICTURE, BUT IT WAS OOEY GOOEY CREAMY DELICIOUS.
5 CHEESE GOURMET MAC & CHEESE
8 ounces macaroni or campagnelle noodles, prepared according to package directions
1/4 pound bacon, diced
1 small red onion, diced small
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided 2 1/2 + 1/2 + 1
3 tablespoons WONDRA flour
2 teaspoons DIJON mustard
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
1/4 cup grated Bleu Cheese
1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere Cheese
1 1/2 cups EXTRA sharp white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Asiago Parmesan Cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian Parsley
1/3 cup crushed Keebler Club crackers
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons powdered Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Butter a 9×9 baking dish.
- In a large skillet brown bacon until crisp and crumbly. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add onions to bacon drippings, sauteing until soft.
- Add the 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter.
- When butter is melted whisk in the flour making a roux.
- Whisk in the mustard.
- Gradually and alternately add the milk and cream, whisking constantly.
- Add the thyme and salt. Bring to a SLOW rolling boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Strain into a large mixing bowl and discard any solids.
- Add ALL 5 cheeses quickly, stirring constantly until melted and a smooth consistency.
- Add in the cooked noodles stirring to coat.
- Fold the noodle mixture into the baking dish.
- Blend together the melted butter, Parmesan Cheese and cracers.
- Sprinkle on top of noodles.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and rest 10 minutes before serving.