COFFEE BREAK MUFFINS from Dorie Greenspan
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 cup strong coffee, cooled
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400.
- Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-sized muffin tin or fit the molds with paper muffin cups.
- Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour sugar espresso powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in the brown sugar, making sure there are no lumps.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the coffee, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract together until well combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough – a few lumps are better than over mixing the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a think knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.