Do you like those rotisserie chicken from the market? I do, but on average they are only 2-3 pounds and cost anywhere from $5-$8 or even more. My local grocer ran a unadvertised special the other day and I got this 5.86 pound beauty for 97 cents a pound.
I love my cast iron skillet too! There is nothing better for even cooking heat! I like to roast my chicken in there so the sides are always radiating an even heat to whole chicken.
- Wash chicken and dry.
- Spread butter along the inside of the cast iron pan and all over the chicken.
- Generously salt and pepper the chicken.
- Place onions along side the chicken.
- In a small bowl whisk together the preserves and syrup. Set aside and allow to come to room temperature.
- Roast at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- With a pastry brush spread preserve mixture all over the chicken every 10-15 minutes until skin is crisp and chicken is cooked through. This should be from 30-45 minutes based on the actual weight of your chicken.