CHICKEN PARMESAN SOUP
1 cup diced shallot
1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 sprigs fresh basil
2 sprigs fresh oregano
4 cups chicken broth
2 chicken breasts
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 ounces uncooked penne pasta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese – garnish
- Remove the leaves from the basil and oregano, chopping each. Reserve half of the basil for garnish.
- Lay chicken in bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the onions and peppers all around the chicken.
- Top with the tomatoes, half the basil and all the oregano.
- Pour chicken broth over it all.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred. Keep warm.
- Add pasta to crock pot and cook another 35-40 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Stir shredded chicken back in and heat through.
- Season to taste.
- Top each serving with fresh basil and some of the Parmesan shredded cheese.