WHY IT WORKS: This recipe works because it is simple, week night friendly, flavor packed and PURE comfort food. It also makes a great addition to a backyard BBQ or church pot luck supper.
BUFFALO CHICKEN & POTATOES
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenders, cut into 1 inch strips
1/3 cup Frank’s Original Hot Sauce
6 cups diced hash brown potatoes, thawed*
1 cup ranch dressing
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 cup seasoned Panko crumbs**
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 bunch green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 13×9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the chicken strips and hot sauce, tossing to coat well.
- In a LARGE mixing bowl whisk together the undiluted soup and ranch dressing.
- Fold potatoes into the soup mixture.
- Spoon potato mixture into baking dish.
- Arrange chicken pieces in a single layer on top of potatoes, drizzling any excess sauce evenly over top.
- Evenly top with grated cheese.
- In a small bowl combine Panko Crumbs and butter until a coarse mixture.
- Sprinkle Panko crumbs mixture over chicken pieces.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 20 minutes more or until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Top with green onions.
- Cool slightly and serve warm.
NOTE 1: * The original recipe called for a southwestern style hash browns. Tater tots in a single layer work in a pinch also, but make sure everything is COMPLETELY thawed and drained of all moisture.
NOTE 2: ** The original recipe called for corn flakes crumbs.