This is one of those fun facebook recipes that actually worked the way it was supposed to! See the how to video here. I did make a couple changes that we like better.
BBQ BACON CHEESEBURGER MEATBALLS – makes 12 metballs
1 pound ground beef
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ onion, minced
⅓ VERY loosely packed cup minced parsley
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
4-6 small/medium-sized onions
4 ounces cheddar cheese (small block), cubed
16-24 pieces of bacon
1 bottle BBQ sauce (King”s Hawaiian Original)
- Preheat oven to 425˚.
- Cut onions in half root to tip.
- Save onion shells suitable to wrap meatballs. Use smaller inside pieces for the minced onion inside the meat mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef with garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, bread crumbs, garlic, onion, parsley, egg, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and honey until evenly combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Remove meatball mixture from refrigerator.
- Stuff each meatball with a cube of cheddar cheese and form into golf ball-sized meatballs around it.
- Wrap each meatball in two onion shells and then wrap each meatball with 2 pieces of bacon until meatball is completely covered. Secure with toothpicks.
- Submerge each meatball into the BBQ sauce before transferring it to a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake for 45 minutes, brushing again with BBQ sauce every 15 minutes.