WHY THIS RECIPES WORKS – This recipe is full of simple, but comfort oriented ingredients that makes for a quick week night dinner that is completely satisfying. Just add a green salad or vegetable and you’re ready!
1 1⁄2 lbs beef, sliced thin or chopped small
2 tablespoons baking soda
1⁄4 cup room temperature water
3 tablespoons avocado oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped small
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1⁄2 lb mushrooms, sliced thin
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry white wine
LARGE pinch sea salt
1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
cooked wide egg noodles
- Slice beef very thinly across the grain, or cut into bite size pieces and place in ceramic or glass bowl.
- Whisk together the baking soda and 1/4 cup water. Pour it over the beef. Stir well and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Melt butter into oil and sauté onions on low heat for about 10 minutes until golden. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook another 10 minutes (add a little wine for moisture if needed).
- Remove the beef from the bowl and rinse well under running cold water in a colander; let drain.
- Add well-drained beef to the cooked mushroom mixture and sauté another 10 minutes. When you add the beef it will make the sauce foam – DON’T PANIC — this is to be expected and will subside.
- Sprinkle flour in and stir until everything is coated.
- Add the broth plus the Worcestershire, bay leaf, wine, paprika, and white pepper to the meat mixture.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, tasting it periodically until any “floury” taste is gone.
- When you are close to serving, take it off the heat and add the sour cream, careful not to curdle, and stir well.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve over cooked buttered noodles.NOTE: The BIG “secret” in this recipe that makes it PERFECT is soaking the meat with the baking soda mixture. It ensures a wonderfully tender and velvety beef.