4 medium navel oranges, room temperature
3 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 Jumbo eggs
1 cup whole milk
2 cups flour
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Generously grease a Bundt pan (I like a decorative Nordicware or Wilton pan)
- Squeeze oranges, saving pulp
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Then add 1/2 cup of the sugar, the cinnamon and 1/2 cup of the orange juice, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Cool.
- Mix the baking soda into 2 teaspoons of orange juice.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the shortening with 1 cup sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Alternate the milk and flour, sifting the flour into the cream mixture and blend until smooth.
- Add the baking soda mixture and blend well.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture and blend well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Level pan by dropping on counter top to remove air bubbles.
- Bake until springy 55-60 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and then invert onto platter.
- Cool before frosting.
1/2 cup butter, softened
5 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, pulp and all
2 teaspoon orange zest
- Beat butter until fluffy.
- Beat in 1/2 of the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add orange juice, vanilla and orange peel. Blend until smooth.
- Slowly add the remaining sugar and blend until silky.
- Adjust sugar and orange juice until desired consistency and flavor is reached.