A while back I found this recipe for Sour Cream Noodle Bake over at Food Network that I wanted to try and then realized we had a big move coming and that I didn’t have the exact ingredients so I took quite a few liberties with this recipe and hubby loves it reconstructed! So, I don’t think we’ll ever get around to trying her original recipe, but you can tell me what you think.
RECONSTRUCTED MEXICAN LASAGNA
1 pound ground chuck or sirloin
8-9 ounces tomato sauce, divided
Fresh ground Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 cups elbows or shells or any combo of
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
1 large bunch green onions, sliced thin
1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
10 ounce can Original Rotel tomatoes, DRAINED WELL
15 ounce can black beans, DRAINED WELL and RINSED
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 11×9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spoon 2 spoons of tomato sauce into the bottom of your baking dish
- Prepare pasta according to package directions to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is boiling, brown ground sirloin and half of the green onions, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste as browning. Drain fat.
- While meat is browning and pasta is boiling mix together the sour cream and cottage cheese in a medium bowl, seasoning with fresh ground salt and pepper.
- Add in pasta and remaining green onions. Set aside.
- Add remaining tomato sauce, drained Rotel as well as the drained and rinsed black beans to the meat and stir to blend well.
- Assemble starting with the noodle mixture followed by the meat mixture and half the cheese and repeat.
- Bake 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and heated all the way through.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and salsa.
NOTE: This recipe also works well with no bake lasagna noodles. Just omit the pasta from the cheese mixture ad assemble like Italian Lasagna.