GARLIC DILL PICKLES
2 pounds cucumber pickles, washed
2 cups white vinegar
4 cups water
1/4 cup pickling salt
2 tablespoons fresh dill*
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large Vidalia onion, whole
- Chill the cucumbers in a bowl of ice water for 30 minutes or more.
- In a medium non-reactive pan heat the water, vinegar and salt over a medium high heat until the salt is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Cut cucumbers to desired size.
- Place cucumbers in large jar.
- Stir garlic, dill and mustard seed into vinegar mix.
- Pour cooled mixture over pickles.
- Place whole onion on top to weight pickles to keep them submerged.
- Set in a cool place for 3-4 days at room temperature and then move to refrigerator for crisp pickles.
*you can use dehydrated, but I prefer not to when at all possible – fresh gives such a better flavor!