ROASTED BANANA PUDDING
5 ripe unpeeled medium bananas (about 2 pounds) + 1 fresh banana for garnish
2 cups half-n-half
2/3 cup sugar, divided 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (12-ounce) container COOL WHIP, thawed and divided (4 1/2 cups fresh whipped cream)
45-55 vanilla wafers, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place 5 bananas on a jelly-roll pan covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove 2 bananas; cool completely.
- Peel and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Bake the remaining 3 bananas for an additional 20 minutes.
- Carefully peel and place the 3 bananas in a small bowl, and mash with a fork until smooth. *The original recipe calls for 3 sliced bananas and 2 mashed bananas. If you want more banana pieces in your pudding you may want to do this.
- Combine half-n-half and 1/3 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a SLOW simmer. DO NOT BOIL!
- Combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, and eggs in a medium bowl; whisking well.
- SLOWLY add hot half-n-half mixture to sugar mixture, whisking constantly. It’s very important that you mix these together very slowly and whisk constantly. If the hot mixture is added too quickly it can cook the eggs!
- Return this combined mixture to pan.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add mashed bananas, butter, and vanilla, stirring until butter melts.
- Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl (or your kitchen sink filled with ice) for 15 minutes or until mixture comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Fold half of whipped topping into pudding.
- Spread 1/2 of the custard evenly over the bottom of an 8x 8-inch baking dish. Top evenly with vanilla wafers and half of the banana slices.
- Spoon remaining custard over banana slices.
- Repeat procedure with vanilla wafers, banana slices.
- Spread remaining half of whipped topping evenly over top.
- Crush several wafers; sprinkle over top of whipped topping.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Spoon into ramekins and top with crumbled vanilla wafers and fresh banana slices.