FRIED CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
3 pounds chicken thighs
2 tablespoons GHEE
2 tablespoons avocado oil
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Wash and dry chicken pieces.
- Sift together 3/4 flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large sauté pan or stock pot heat GHEE and oil.
- Dredge chicken pies in flour and place skin side down in hot oil. Brown chicken skin side down until chicken starts to bleed before turning, about 15 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken pieces to plate.
2 shallots, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced thin
2 ribs celery, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup AP flour
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Barefoot white Moscato
3 tablespoons sugar
8 whole peppercorns
1/2 cup heavy cream (added in at the end)
2 teaspoons fresh parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
- Add carrots to pan and stir for a couple minutes.
- Add celery and shallots, stirring a couple more minutes.
- Add garlic and 1/3 cup flour stirring constantly until flour is golden.
- Gradually add chicken stock, constantly stirring until well blended.
- Add wine, vinegar, sugar and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, covered and cook for 15 minutes.
- While the stew is simmering shred chicken from the bone into bite size pieces and begin the dumplings. Be sure to shred crisp chicken skin into bite size pieces also.
1 1/3 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon LITEHOUSE basil
1 teaspoon LITEHOUSE chives
1 teaspoon LITEHOUSE red onions
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the butter and milk.
- Add basil, chives and red onion to milk and let sit 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients JUST until combined.
- Skim any fat from stew.
- Gently stir in cream.
- Add the chicken pieces and crispy skin back into the stew.
- Drop dumplings on top of stew and simmer covered another 15 minutes or so until dumplings are plump and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately.
LINKING TO: CELEBRATE YOUR STORY, CRAFTASTIC MONDAY, DISHING IT & DIGGING IT, NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAY, SHOW & TELL, SUNDAYS AT HOME, SUNDAY’S BEST, THAT DIY PARTY, JCOOKING & CRAFTING WITH J&J, INPIRATION MONDAY , INSPIRE ME MONDAY , MADE BY YOU MONDAY, MAKE IT PRETTY MONDAY, MELT IN YOUR MOUTH MONDAY, MERRY MONDAY, MIX IT UP MONDAY, MOTIVATE ME MONDAY, PROJECT INSPIRED, SHOW AND SHARE, TUTORIALS & TIP, DIY TUESDAYS, LOU LOU GIRLS FABULOUS PARTY, THE SCOOP, TREASURE BOX TUESDAY, TUESDAYS AT OUR HOME, TUESDAYS WITH A TWIST, CREATIVE INSPIRATIONS, SHARE YOUR CUP , WINTER BLUES WEDNESDAY, WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY, SHOW ME WEDNESDAYS, WOW US WEDNESDAY , CREATIVE CIRCLE, DAGMAR’S PARTY, HOME SWEET HOME, FAVORITE THINGS, GRACE AT HOME, HOME MATTERS, PIN JUNKIE PIN PARTY, TALK OF THE TOWN, BLOGGER’S PIT STOP, HANDMADE HANGOUT, PRETTY PINTASTIC PARTY, SHARE IT ONE MORE TIME, SWAY SHAREFEST, WHAT TO DO WEEKENDS PARTY, BOUQUET OF TALENT PARTY, INSPIRE-BE-INSPIRED, RAE GUN BLOCK PARTY, I’M LOVIN’ IT, THIS IS HOW WE ROLL THURSDAY, FULL PLATE THURSDAY, FOODIE FRIDAY, SOUPER SUNDAY, BETH FISH READS, SATURDAY SPARKS, AMAZE ME MONDAY, INSPIRE ME TUESDAY, SHARE YOUR STYLE, OVER THE MOON