FRIED CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
3 pounds chicken thighs
2 tablespoons GHEE
2 tablespoons avocado oil
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Wash and dry chicken pieces.
- Sift together 3/4 flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large sauté pan or stock pot heat GHEE and oil.
- Dredge chicken pies in flour and place skin side down in hot oil. Brown chicken skin side down until chicken starts to bleed before turning, about 15 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken pieces to plate.
2 shallots, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced thin
2 ribs celery, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup AP flour
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Barefoot white Moscato
3 tablespoons sugar
8 whole peppercorns
1/2 cup heavy cream (added in at the end)
2 teaspoons fresh parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
- Add carrots to pan and stir for a couple minutes.
- Add celery and shallots, stirring a couple more minutes.
- Add garlic and 1/3 cup flour stirring constantly until flour is golden.
- Gradually add chicken stock, constantly stirring until well blended.
- Add wine, vinegar, sugar and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, covered and cook for 15 minutes.
- While the stew is simmering shred chicken from the bone into bite size pieces and begin the dumplings. Be sure to shred crisp chicken skin into bite size pieces also.
1 1/3 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon LITEHOUSE basil
1 teaspoon LITEHOUSE chives
1 teaspoon LITEHOUSE red onions
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the butter and milk.
- Add basil, chives and red onion to milk and let sit 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients JUST until combined.
- Skim any fat from stew.
- Gently stir in cream.
- Add the chicken pieces and crispy skin back into the stew.
- Drop dumplings on top of stew and simmer covered another 15 minutes or so until dumplings are plump and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Linking up to FULL Plate Thursday.