This is a FABULOUS make-ahead breakfast dish! So easy and so tasty making it perfect for Sunday brunch after church or Christmas morning. Serve it with crisp bacon, sausage links and or fresh fruit for a scrumptious meal.
FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE serves 6
2 tablespoons butter, divided
8 slices white bread
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 -1 teaspoon high quality cinnamon
3/4 cups whole milk
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 9 x 9 baking dish. Be sure to brush the melted butter up all the sides.
- Put a single layer of bread in bottom of pan.
- In a bowl mix brown sugar with the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture over bread.
- Add another layer of bread.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with milk until well blended.
- Pour over bread layers.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- Cut 1 tablespoon of butter into small pieces.
- Dot with butter pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking 15-20 minutes or until set and browned.
- Serve with powdered sugar, molasses or maple syrup.