A true Barbacoa uses parts of a cow that I prefer not to use, so when I ran across this recipe I thought it was wonderful. I think of this as a Mexican Sauerbraten. You do serve it shredded, but this was so pretty I just had to show you the before shredding picture.
SLOW COOKER BARBACOA
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoons fresh ground sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup beef broth
1 medium Walla Walla onion, slivered
3-4 pounds beef chuck roast
- Place the lime juice, vinegar, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, cloves, cumin, oregano, pepper, salt and cloves in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add broth and pulse until well blended.
- Place roast in slow cooker and pour sauce over top.
- Cook on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Shred meat into juices.
- Prepare rice 20-30 minutes before ready to serve.
- Serve over rice.
3 cups water
2 cups uncooked Jasmine rice
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground sea salt
1/2 cup minced cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large saucepan combine water, rice, butter and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered 12-15 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.