Years ago I found this awesome new jello salad recipe over at Mennonite Girls Can Cook called Special Salad. This quickly became a new family favorite! We have even given it a new name and a few changes for our family.
1/2 bag mini marshmallows
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup FINELY grated cheddar cheese
- Mix the two boxes of jello powder together in a large glass mixing bowl and stir in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Mix well until jello has dissolved.
- Add 2 cups of cold water.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator until partially set.
- Mix together the orange segments, pineapple and banana slices.
- Fold into the partially set jello.
- If using individual or multiple serving dishes, portion it at this time.
- Top the jello-fruit mixture with 1/2 bag mini white marshmallows and then put jello back in fridge.
- Whip together the whipping cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla until thick, cover and place in fridge.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, *1 cup pineapple juice, egg and flour together in a small sauce pan, stirring constantly until thick..
- Cool this mixture completely and then fold in the whipped cream mixture.
- Spread over the marshmallow mixture.
- Layer the 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese on the top.
- Return to the refrigerator and chill thoroughly.
NOTE**: This recipe originally called for orange and lemon Jell-o. I play with the flavors ALL the time. This time I used lemon, orange crush and strawberry banana small boxes in lieu of the 2 LARGE boxes with delightful results.
Submitted to FULL PLATE THURSDAY @Miz Helen’s Country Cottage.