This is a very altered recipe from the Southern Living Slow Cooker cookbook. I changed amounts, flavor profiles and we really think it was for the best. There was no garlic in the original recipe and they used cheddar cheese! So NOT Italian!
SLOW COOKER SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE makes 6-8 servings
1 pound ground chuck (for something spicier, use Hot Italian Sausage)
1 LARGE shallot, diced
15 ounce jar CLASSICO Four Cheese Tomato Cream Sauce
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup Wondra flour
12 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 cup FRESH grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into pieces**
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet over medium high heat a small amount of avocado oil.
- Add ground chuck and diced shallot. When just about browned add garlic and saute’ a minute more.
- Drain off all fat and return meat to pan.
- Add CLASSICO sauce to meat and blend well.
- In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, melt butter.
- Add flour, whisking until golden.
- Slowly whisk in evaporated milk until well blended and thickened.
- Remove from heat and add Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly spray the slow cooker with non stick spray.
- Spoon half of meat mixture into slow cooker and spread evenly.
- Top with half of the spaghetti pieces.
- Spoon half of Parmesan cheese mixture over the spaghetti pieces and spread evenly.
- Top with half of the Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
NOTE**: I can sometimes find “pot size” spaghetti which is just half size spaghetti so much less mess with breaking and they fit in the slow cooker perfectly.