In my humble opinion (especially now that bread is a rarity in my diet) a “dressed” garlic bread is the ONLY way to go! The strong penetrating flavor of the Pecorino cheese in the garlic bread as well as the meatballs raises your normal spaghetti to a NEW level.
SPAGHETTI with RICOTTA MEATBALLS & PECORINO GARLIC BREAD – serves 2
2 tablespoons Pecorino cheese
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped FRESH Parsley, minced
2 tablespoons chopped FRESH Basil leaves, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, minced and divide in thirds
3/4 pound LEAN ground beef
2 tablespoons Ricotta cheese
¼ cup Italian Breadcrumbs
1/3 pound spaghetti noodles
1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce
Fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste
1 French Roll
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a FULL boil.
- Prepare a small baking sheet with foil .
- Mix together the ground beef, ricotta cheese, parsley, 1/3 of the garlic, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the Pecorino cheese with your hands until well blended.
- Shape meat into ping pong sized meatballs.
- Heat avocado oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add meatballs to hot oil stirring occasionally until browned ALL over, 6-9 minutes.
- Set aside.
- While meatballs are cooking cook spaghetti in salted boiling water until al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Drain pasta. Toss with oil.
- In a small mixing bowl combine 1 tablespoon of Pecorino cheese and 1 tablespoon avocado oil together into a paste.
- Stir in 1/3 of the garlic.
- Place bread on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Spread paste over bread and bake until golden brown.
- Top with sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- In a medium sauce pan combine marinara, a pinch of salt and reserved pasta water. Bring to a boil.
- Return meatball pan to a medium heat. Add remaining garlic, cooking until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally until meatballs are warmed through, 8 minutes or so.
- Plate and serve immediately.
Linking up to FULL Plate Thursday.