This is a VERY versatile recipe!! With using what is on hand I often trade out the flavor of soup (I used cream of Poblano today), the green onions (I had a shallot that needed using), the hash browns (I used tater tots) and the cheese (I used a combination of Monterey Jack, Sharp Cheddar and Mozzarella to use up 3 partial blocks). The only thing I think CANNOT be changed is the honeybaked ham and I usually have some i the freezer leftover from whatever previous holiday just occurred. It adds such a unique flavor!
2 pounds OreIda frozen diced hash brown potatoes
1 can cream of celery soup
2 + cups diced ham (HONEY BAKED HAM)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 bunch green onions, finely diced
1 3/4 cups grated cheddar cheese ( I use a combo of medium, sharp and Skellig Sweet)
1 cup crushed potato chips
- Preheat 350°.
- Spray large flat baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together soup, sour cream and seasonings until smooth.
- Fold in the ham and green onions.
- Fold in 1 1/4 cups of the cheese.
- Fold in hash browns.
- Spread into prepared baking dish.*
- Bake until top is slightly golden , about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with last cup of cheese and potato chips and bake additional 10 minutes.
- Great for brunches and large groups.
- We like a firmer casserole so I use a flatter baking dish to spread out the mixture.